Job posting for graduate student position at UM Museum of Art
This position provides an 8 -12 month (renewable) employment opportunity for a graduate student interested in hands-on experience with the Museum’s collections management, education, and curatorial activities.
This position is within the Collections and Exhibitions Department under the direction of the Chief Registrar for Collections and Exhibitions.
The position partners with, coordinates with, and supports the Education Department. The Study Room Art Handler works directly with the Education Department’s Academic Outreach Manager and the Teaching Fellow to support the goals of the Education Department’s Outreach programming, including the use of the Paper and Object Study Rooms for visiting classes, scholars and museum curators. Under the supervision of the Collections and Exhibitions department and working in coordination with the Education Department and the Academic Outreach Manager and Teaching Fellow, the Study Room Art Handler helps to facilitate access to the museum’s collection through class visits and Study Room use. In this role, the Study Room Art Handler is responsible for:
- Learning and using appropriate art-handling techniques.
- Coordinating the movement of objects in the Museum from storage locations to study areas and back again.
- Maintaining the safety and security of Museum collection objects when removed from storage.
- Supervising and assisting faculty, students and researchers in the study rooms during visits, including the articulation and upholding of Study Room usage rules.
- Assessing and providing Study Room visitor usage statistics.
- Tracking and managing locations of collection objects.
- Checking out and monitoring Registration object files for research requests, while preserving confidentiality of sensitive records.
For more information and to apply online, please visit this link:
Post expires at 5:00pm on Friday October 26th, 2018