Guest Experience Manager – The Amazeum (Bentonville, AR)
Type: Full-time, exempt, salaried
Schedule: varied work schedule will include weekdays, some weekends/evenings, and occasional holidays
Salary range: $33,000-37,000
Amazeum Synopsis The Scott Family Amazeum is a hands-on, interactive museum in Northwest Arkansas that creates a fun environment where risk taking, imagining, problem solving, discovery, collaboration, and exploration bring children and adults together to learn and grow. The mission of the Amazeum is: “To engage the imagination of children and their families through interactive exhibits, programs, and resources while creating an excitement for lifelong learning and the enrichment of lives.” Through experiences with the Amazeum, individuals and the community are engaged in building relationships and developing identities as creative, curious, and innovative shapers for the region. Learning at the Amazeum is an active, playful exploration that inspires curiosity. It is rooted in inquiry-based discovery and involves an element of risk. Hands-on learning opportunities allow guests to exercise critical thinking in the context of play. The Amazeum facility includes approximately 50,000 square feet of indoor space and one acre of outdoor exhibition and activity space. The museum is located at the intersection of Museum Way and J Street in Bentonville, AR.
Position Summary Reporting to the Director of Education, the Guest Experience Manager is an energetic, creative museum professional with a passion for providing playful learning experiences for children and families that inspire curiosity, creativity, and community. This highly collaborative position ensures an overall excellent guest experience through modeling and delivering high quality learning moments for guests and managing a team dedicated to experiential excellence. The Guest Experience Manager oversees the development and implementation of an ever-changing array of Amazeum experiences including exhibit facilitation, hands-on activities, public programs and strategies for inclusion. The Guest Experience Manager is responsible for implementing the Amazeum’s educational mission and intended impact for guests throughout the museum.
Leadership and Management
- Manages the guest experience team consisting of Guest Experience Team Leads, Public Programs Coordinator and Play Facilitators.
- Leads team through hand-on supervision and actively facilitating guest experiences alongside the team.
- Provides visionary leadership in the development of robust guest experiences. Ensures experiences uphold the high standard of guest experience the Amazeum is known for.
- In collaboration with Guest Experience Team Leads, ensures proper staff coverage and execution of daily programs, activities, and/or experiences.
- Creates and executes a consistent training plan that includes play- and inquiry-based facilitation techniques, customer service, emergency procedures and inclusion strategies. Plans and facilitates ongoing team professional development and maintains training records.
- Develops and executes an evaluation plan and assessment tools for Play Facilitators and Team Leads that includes coaching and regular recognition.
- Establishes and documents systems for hiring, training, team evaluation, communication and capturing stories of impact; reviews and updates systems annually.
- Empowers team to adjust levels of guest engagement techniques based upon visitation levels and audience make up.
- Supports Guest Experience team in being idea generators and implementers of experiences.
- Collaborates with Guest Services team and broader education team to ensure consistent approach and language for customer service and guest facilitation.
Creative Program Development
- Develops and implements guest engagement strategies to reach a wide range of guests.
- Ensures experiences align with Amazeum mission, core values, guiding principles, and educational approach for optimal guest experiences. Instills a passion for powerful guest experiences in team members.
- Works collaboratively with Public Programs Coordinator and community partners to develop and staff innovative and engaging value-adding experiences through public programs.
- Establishes relationships with community partners to assess needs of community; modifies and/or expands guest experience strategies based upon community needs, particularly in the areas of inclusion/diversity and teens.
- Collaborates with Membership Manager to identify opportunities to provide value added experiences for members.
- Works with education team to identify volunteer opportunities; assist with placing and training volunteers.
- Supports the coordination and delivery of excellent Unfield Trip experiences.
- Reviews and manages the guest experience budget; monitor purchasing and staffing expenses.
- Establishes and implements evaluation procedures to gauge the effectiveness and impact of guest engagement strategies.
- In collaboration with Director of Education, establishes and updates a 3-5 year plan for ensuring active, vibrant guest experiences.
- Communicates value adding experiences with Marketing Manager.
General Duties The responsibilities listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The Amazeum reserves the right to revise or change position duties and responsibilities as necessary to accommodate changing organizational needs.
Qualifications Education Preparation and Work Experience
- BS/BA degree in Education, Communication, Science, or related field
- Experience at an interactive museum, such as children’s museum or science museum; 2-5 years with emphasis in exhibit facilitation preferred
- Management experience in informal learning setting (museum or cultural attraction); 2-5 years preferred
- Familiarity with STEAM disciplines, inquiry-based facilitation, and play-based facilitation
- Proficient in the use of Google Documents and Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint
- Proven ability to manage a diverse staff with a team approach
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong verbal communication skills with emphasis on interacting with diverse audiences in an engaging and compelling fashion
- Strong written communication skills including proofreading, grammar, and spelling
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to speak Spanish is desired, but not required
- Proven ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Strategic thinker and able to problem solve effectively under pressure
- Independent, self-directed learner
- Demonstrates curiosity and passion for learning, with an excitement for new challenges
- Energetic, dependable, and personable; enjoys working with children and adults
- Ability to balance shifting priorities in a dynamic, fast paced, and ever changing environment
- Leads by example, is approachable by staff, and able to work as part of a team
- Ability to collaborate effectively
- Commitment to the Amazeum’s mission
- Able to stand, walk, and interact with children and adults for extended periods of time
- Able to lift up to 20 lbs overhead regularly and occasionally 40 lbs
- Valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, and reliable personal transportation required
Applications with resumes should be submitted to the Director of Education via email firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the Scott Family Amazeum, 1009 Museum Way, Bentonville, AR 72712